India is traversing towards Digital India with the advancement of technology. Over ten years, the country has adapted to digitalization more than ever. Online payments, food, and grocery delivery to consultation with doctors and online courses, Indian citizens have come a long way.
Moreover, the government introduced a new toll payment method with the use of an e-card called FASTag. It is mandatory for all toll-passer vehicles to have a FASTag, effective December 15, 2019.
At present, most of the vehicle owners are registering for FASTag online. It is more convenient and trackable.
What is FASTag?
FASTag, as the name suggests, is a fast and secure electronic toll payment tag or card. The government introduced it to reduce the congestion at toll plazas, especially on the National Highways.
In other words, it is a digitalized toll collection system regulated by the National Highway Authority of India (NHAI) based on a Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) technology. It is like a sticker on the vehicle’s windscreen for easy detection of your toll ID and QR code printed on it.
Moreover, The tag contains a FASTag logo, a color code, QR code, Tag Class, and TID.
When was Fastag first introduced, and how it evolved?
According to Wikipedia, the timeline of FASTags in India is as follows:
- In 2014, the FASTag pilot project came into effect between Ahemdabad and Mumbai for the Golden Quadrilateral.
- The national highways represent 70% of the toll plazas in India. Therefore, 247 toll plazas supported FASTag by April 2016 across India.
- The government-mandated FASTags for National Highways on October 19, 2019. In addition to this, the government announced the fine of double the toll fee for non-FASTag users.
- On December 15, 2019, the FASTags became mandatory all over India.
- At present, 600+ toll plazas support FASTag payments, and more willl be joining soon.
What is the FASTag color code and Tag Class?
In simple words, FASTags for vehicles vary based on the vehicle. For each vehicle category, there is a unique FASTag color code and tag class.
There are 7 Tag Classes based on National Highways’ toll classes.
- 4 – Car/Jeep/Van and other mini light commercial vehicles
- 5 – Light commercial vehicle
- 6 – Three axle commercial vehicles
- 7 – Bus/Truck
- 12 – 4 to 6 axle
- 15 – 7 or more axle
- 16 – Earth Moving Equipment (EME) and Heavy Construction Machinery (HCM)
Colour codes for FASTag online are as follows:
Car/Jeep/Van/TATA Ace/ Mini light commercial vehicle – Violet
Axle 2 Light commercial vehicle – Orange
For Axle 2 Bus/Truck – Green
Axle 3 Bus/Truck – Yellow
For Axle 4 and above Truck – Pink
Oversized vehicles – Light Blue
EME – Grey
How does FASTag make payment easier?
In short, think of it as a prepaid toll payment system, which is either linked to your bank account or digital wallet. Consequently, it makes it easier for vehicle drivers to pass through the toll without worrying about cash change.
Additionally, It prevents the long queues at tolls, thereby saving your time. It is rechargeable and has an extended validity per se.
How does FASTag work?
The four parties are involved in the process viz., issuer, acquirer, National Electronic Toll Collection (NETC), and toll plaza operator to make it swift. Simple steps mentioned below explain how FASTag works:
- Firstly, when a vehicle passes through a toll plaza, the ETC system captures tag details (Tag ID, Vehicle class, TID) and sends it to the respective bank for processing.
- Secondly, the bank sends a request to the NETC mapper to verify the tag details.
- After that, the NETC mapper responds with details like Vehicle Class, Tag Status, VRN, etc., after validation. For instance, the non-registered Tag ID doesn’t show in NETC mapper. In that case, it sends the message “TID not registered” to the acquirer.
- After the validation is successful, the acquirer host calculates the toll fare and sends a debit request to NETC.
- Furthermore, the NETC system forwards the same request to the FASTag linked bank to debit the amount from the tag holder’s account.
- The bank sends an SMS alert to the account holder and a response message to the NETC system as well.
- Finally, the NETC system notifies to the acquirer host who, in turn, informs the respective toll plaza system.
What are the benefits if you register for Fastag online?
FASTag was introduced with a vision to reduce traffic at toll plazas with several other benefits. The benefits of online FASTag purchase are as follows:
- Saves Fuel and Time – Indeed, if you buy FASTag for the vehicle, it will save a significant amount of your time and fuel. The tag reader will automatically read your FASTag while you are on the move as you enter the toll passage.
- Cashless Payment – No need to carry or search for change, the account or wallet linked to your FASTag automatically debits the toll amount.
- SMS alerts for transactions – Receive instant SMS for any FASTag transactions on your registered mobile number.
- FASTag portal – Check and download your transaction statements at the FASTag customer portal with secure online FASTag login details provided at the time of registration.
- FASTag Recharge online – Like payments, you can do the FASTag Recharge online via Debit cards, Credit cards, Netbanking, Amazon FASTag recharge, or Paytm FASTag recharge facilities.
- Long-term validity – The FASTag is valid for five years.
By the way, other benefits of FASTag include reduced air pollution, minimum use of paper at toll plazas, and easy centralized management.
How to apply for FASTag?
You can buy FASTag online or offline at your convenience. As of now, 22 certified banks issue FASTag online like ICICI, SBI, HDFC, Axis, and many more. E-commerce like Amazon, wallets like Paytm is also available where you can apply for FASTag online.
FASTag online portal is a registration facility for the maintenance of your account and transactions. Another convenient resource for FASTag online registration is my FASTag app; it is similar to the FASTag portal.
Alternatively, offline methods to apply for FASTag are Point of Sale (POS) toll plazas connected to selected banks and their branches, petrol stations, RTOs or transport hubs, and common service centers.
Documents required for FASTag purchase
The documents required for FASTag purchase varies based on the issuer you choose to buy FASTag online.
However, necessary documents include the vehicle’s registration certificate (RC), voter’s ID, aadhar card, other KYC documents, and driver’s license.
In addition to this, other documents like PAN Card, address proof, or proprietorship deed, etc. are required if the vehicle is registered with the corporate firm or is in partnership. For more information, check FASTag online from HDFC.
What is the cost of FASTag online purchase?
The cost of FASTag online purchase includes a maximum of Rs. 100 as a one-time fee, a security deposit of Rs. 200, and a threshold amount ranges between 100-200. The threshold amount is the minimum recharge amount you use during tag activation.
The bank FASTag charges differ from bank to bank, and the total amount is between Rs. 400-500. However, charges may change, and the security amount is refunded to KYC customers if they close their FASTag account.
In contrast to this, if you buy FASTag through Paytm, the amount totals to Rs,500. Out of this, Rs. 100 is the cost of FASTag, Rs. 250 for security deposit and Rs.150 as a threshold amount.
Note: You have a maintain a minimum FASTag balance to avoid the blacklisting of your tag. Check the FASTag online balance.
How to apply for FASTag through ICICI bank?
If you wish to apply for FASTag through ICICI bank, you will need a passport size photograph, KYC documents, vehicle’s RC, and driving license. For more information to buy FASTag from ICICI, check their website.
How to apply for FASTag through HDFC bank?
You can get 2.5% cashback credited to your bank account. To know more about how to apply for FASTag through HDFC bank and related information, check here.
How to apply for FASTag through SBI bank?
SBI is one of the NETC certified banks. You can apply for FASTag through SBI bank and check your status with just one click here.
Most asked questions about FASTag online and its use
Above all, with the introduction of the new FASTag toll payment system, the confusion is circulating in the air as far as the toll payment is concerned. In fact, people are looking for answers and the best portal to buy FASTag online with minimum efforts. These are the most asked questions about FASTag online registration and other related queries.
How to recharge FASTag online?
So, there are two ways to recharge FASTag. You can either submit cash at the respective Point of Sale linked with the issuer or via FASTag online portal using NEFT/Credit card/Debit card.
You can also recharge FASTag by Paytm and other UPI services like Gpay, Amazon, etc.
The minimum Fastag recharge amount is Rs.100 to a maximum of Rs. 1 lakh.
Note: The convenience fee applies to the FASTag online Recharge, and users who have not completed their KYC can only recharge upto Rs. 10,000.
To recharge from FASTag online portal using NEFT,
- Go to your respective customer portal.
- FASTag online login requires username and password generated at the time of registration.
- After your FASTag online login is complete, go to the Payments section and click Recharge.
- Enter the amount, choose the payment option, click Continue.
- Choose your bank from the list, enter login details, and complete the payment.
To complete FASTag recharge by Paytm, you simply need to add money to the wallet like all other prepaid payments on the Paytm app. For more queries like how to buy Paytm FASTag and how to activate Paytm FASTag, please visit here.
How to use the MyFASTag app?
To begin with, MyFASTag app is one of the two major apps that the National Highway Authority of India has launched. It makes FASTag registration, transaction, and recharge easy.
Go to PlayStore on Android phones and App Store on iOS devices. Search for the MyFASTag app and install it.
Once downloaded, you will see several options on the home screen.
There are two sections – NHAI FASTag (Bank – Neutral FASTag) and Bank Specific FASTag (FASTag issued by banks)
The first option allows you to buy FASTag online from Amazon and activate it.
The other option directly connects you to the bank account for FASTag online purchase and Recharge.
For step by step tutorial on how to use MyFASTag app, watch this.
How to activate my FASTag online?
You can either activate FASTag online from the MyFASTag app and linking it to the bank you desire. It is called self-activation. Enter your mobile number, use OTP to register. Enter your vehicle details and load money to make payment easier. It is a smart solution to check FASTag online balance and Recharge.
Alternatively, visit your nearest NETC certified bank. To activate your FASTag offline, you require KYC documents as per the bank’s KYC norms. By this method, you can link your bank account with direct FASTag login, payments, and Recharge.
Takeaways to make your FASTag online login and registration simple.
Undoubtedly, there are multiple platforms to register your FASTag. Since we do everything digitally now, go to register your FASTag online through the app or bank portals.
You need to upload all the necessary documents. Your FASTag wallet is created, and vehicle registration is completed with the issuer (Amazon, bank portal, Paytm, etc.) you choose. Use the wallet ID, vehicle number, RFID number, email address, phone number, and other details to complete the registration process.
For FASTag login, you have to create a username and password after the registration and payment. Furthermore, your FASTag will be delivered to your doorstep after the successful FASTag online purchase.
To complete your KYC for FASTag and similar queries, click here.